Monday, October 6, 2008

Always a Red Devil

Okay, I admit it. I am a little older than I used to be. I am not a real old person yet, but I am well on my way. On September 12th my class, the Springville High School class of 1989, was invited back for Homecoming at the high school. It really does not seem like twenty years, but sometimes it feels like it.
I was asked, somewhat at the last minute, to emcee the Homecoming Assembly. I was really nervous, but felt honored to do it. It was really nice to be back at the school and see some people that I had not seen for a long time. I thought that the assembly went well. We honored our classmates who have served or are currently serving in the armed forces. In the picture above we are honoring Julie Beisinger, whose husband Will is currently serving in Afghanistan.We showed a video that our class officers made...I am glad that I was not in it. Kirk Boyer is now my hero. Then we presented Coach Scott Mitchell with the Spirit Stick and invited the team and cheerleaders on the stage to sing the school song with us. Our hope was to help bring back some of that Red Devil Pride that we all still feel. I think that we were successful.
After the assembly my class also rode in the parade. It was fun to see everyone who came out. It was really fun to see my family and throw them the majority of candy that I had not yet eaten. After the parade was a tailgate party before the football game. Sitting at the game with my friends was nice, especially since the Red Devils destroyed Provo.
On Saturday night there was a dinner for our classmates and their spouses. It was a nice time to sit and talk with people, reminisce about the past, and brag a little about our own kids. It was nice to see so many of the people who have helped shape my life. I am and always will be a Mighty Red Devil.

2 comments:

Stacy Johnson said...

I have to admit it was fun at your assembly! Although I felt kinda outta place! Being the only Payson Lion in the Family!ha ha You are an awesome brother and friend Scott!! I am so glad you got to see people and catch up! I bet it was fun! It's crazy that it has been 20 years! I swear time flies by!!

The Morgan's said...

hey old man! that assembly was so much fun you did such a good job. Love ya tons!!